In addition to addressing one specific potential impact at a time, now is the time to find co-benefits across strategies. The goal is that the overall strategy within the resilience plan is successful and reflects stakeholder values.
Prioritize & Plan
Design an implementation plan for the strategies that are most likely to reduce vulnerability and risk. The goal of prioritization is to delineate achievable actions that address the highest priorities identified thus far and that have the support of community stakeholders. The goal of planning is to find synergy and cost savings within the resilience plan while eliminating unwanted, unintended consequences.
- Gather community input about priorities for strategies and actions
In this phase, focus on projects and actions for the strategies determined to be most beneficial for reducing vulnerability and risk.
Decisions to build resilience must consider not only the current vulnerability and risk, but also future risk due to a changing climate.
Rachel Jacobsen (American Society of Adaptation Professionals), along with Joyce Coffee and Jonathan Lee (Climate Resilience Consulting), provides an overview of the Ready to Fund Resilience Program and explores how to create social equity from climate resilience funding and finance opportunities.
- Does the plan address the highest priorities for exposure, vulnerability, and risk to climate-related hazards?
- Are there easily available, understandable and transparent prioritization criteria?
- Evaluate vulnerability and risk of outcomes from each action in the plan.
- Establish technical capacity so resilience work can continue in perpetuity.
Practitioner Guide Resources
- Step 4 Implementation Examples
- Resource 4.1a | Criteria for Strategy Evaluation
- Resource 4.2a | STAPLEE Descriptions and Guiding Questions
- Resource 4.2b | STAPLEE Score Sheet for Prioritization
- Resource 4.2c | Considerations for a Benefit-Cost Analysis
- Resource 4.4a | Key Characteristics of Different Financing Tools
- Resource 4.4b | Barriers to Resilience Funding and Finance and Guidebook
- Implementing the Steps to Resilience: A Practitioner's Guide