Federal Highway Administration Scenario Planning Guidebook
This guidebook can assist transportation agencies with carrying out a scenario planning process from start to finish. Transportation agencies can use the guidebook as a framework to develop a scenario planning approach tailored to their needs.
The guidebook presents the six key phases that agencies are likely to encounter when implementing the scenario planning process:
- Phase 1: How Should We Get Started? Scope the effort and engage partners.
- Phase 2: Where Are We Now? Establish a baseline analysis. Identify factors and trends that affect the state, region, community, or study area.
- Phase 3: Who Are We and Where Do We Want to Go? Establish future goals and aspirations based on values of the state, region, community, or study area.
- Phase 4: What Could the Future Look Like? Create baseline and alternative scenarios.
- Phase 5: What Impacts Will Scenarios Have? Assess scenario impacts, influences, and effects.
- Phase 6: How Will We Reach Our Desired Future? Craft the comprehensive vision. Identify strategic actions and performance measures.