Managing Drought Risk on the Ranch
This planning guide for Great Plains ranchers provides information on how to manage drought.
This website offers a downloadable 39-page guide in PDF format, with step-by-step instructions and worksheets for managing drought on the ranch.
It also provides:
- Resources and information by state, quick links to tools and current conditions, and other resources to help better prepare for and respond to drought,
- In-depth information on climate and historical drought occurrence; the effects drought has on livestock, grasses, and grazing management; geographic variability in precipitation and forage growth; and drought-related financial considerations,
- Techniques for gathering baseline and ongoing information that will help the drought planning process,
- Long- and short-term management strategies that can be implemented before, during, and after drought to make ranch operations more resilient and prepared for drought conditions, and
- How appropriate strategies can be identified and included in a drought plan.
26 August 2021 - 5:53pm