The U.S. Department of Energy's Tribal Energy Program provides financial and technical assistance that enables tribes to evaluate and develop their renewable energy resources and reduce their energy consumption through efficiency and weatherization. The program also offers education and training opportunities designed to foster clean energy technology adoption, promote green jobs and growth, and strengthen native communities.
The Tribal Energy Program promotes tribal energy sufficiency and fosters economic development and employment on tribal lands through the use of renewable energy and energy-efficiency technologies. The program's mission is to provide financial and technical assistance to tribes through government-to-government partnerships that:
- Enable tribal leaders to make informed decisions about energy choices.
- Bring renewable energy and energy efficiency options to Indian Country.
- Enhance human capacity through education and training.
- Improve local tribal economies and the environment.
- Make a difference in the quality of life of American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The program employs a three-pronged approach to fulfilling its mission, providing tribes with:
- Financial opportunities through a competitive process to develop tribal renewable energy resources and reduce energy consumption through efficiency and weatherization.
- Technical assistance through the Department of Energy's laboratories.
- Education and training through webinars, student internships, and workshops to help build the knowledge and skills is essential to developing, implementing and sustaining energy efficiency and renewable energy projects.
The program's website provides a wealth of information. Features include current projects, success stories, education and training opportunities, a guide to tribal clean energy development, information on how to access technical assistance, current and related funding opportunities, project financing information, literature resources, and a listing of upcoming events.