Crop Decision Dashboard
The Useful to Usable (U2U) Decision Dashboard is an online resource for agricultural advisors, producers, and decision makers in the North Central region of the United States, providing weather, climate, drought, and cropping data. U2U is an integrated research and extension project working to improve farm resilience and profitability by transforming existing climate data into usable products for the agricultural community, with a goal of helping producers make better long-term plans on what, when, and where to plant, and how to manage crops for maximum yields and minimum environmental damage.
The Decision Dashboard features the U2U Suite of decision support tools, including:
- AgClimate View—A convenient way to access customized historical climate and crop yield data for the U.S. Corn Belt. View graphs of monthly temperature and precipitation, plot corn and soybean yield trends, and compare climate and yields over the past 30 years.
- Corn GDD—Track real-time and historical growing degree day (GDD) accumulations, assess spring and fall frost risk, and guide decisions related to planting, harvest, and seed selection. This innovative tool integrates corn development stages with weather and climate data for location-specific decision support tailored specifically to agricultural production.
- Climate Patterns Viewer—Discover how global climate patterns like the El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO) and Arctic Oscillation (AO) have historically affected local climate conditions and crop yields across the U.S. Corn Belt.
- Corn Split N—Determine the feasibility and profitability of using post-planting nitrogen application for corn production. This product combines historical data on crop growth and fieldwork conditions with economic considerations to determine best/worst/average scenarios of successfully completing nitrogen applications within a user-specified time period. Currently available for Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri.
- Probable Fieldwork Days—This spreadsheet-based tool uses USDA data on Days Suitable for Fieldwork to determine the probability of completing in-field activities during a user-specified time period. This product is currently available for Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, and Missouri, and is hosted by the University of Missouri.
The Decision Dashboard also provides links to other decision resources, agro-climate reports, weather/climate maps, drought information, and climate outloooks.