National Risk Index (NRI)
This online mapping tool provides an at-a-glance overview of multiple risk factors related to natural hazards. The comprehensive view can assist communities as they set priorities for their resilience efforts.
This online mapping application from FEMA identifies communities exposed to 18 natural hazards, visualizing natural hazard risk metrics and including data about expected annual losses, social vulnerabilities, and community resilience.
The National Risk Index's interactive web maps present data at the county and census tract level via geographic information system (GIS) feature services for custom analyses. These data layers offer a holistic view of community risk to natural hazards via online maps and data.
The NRI can assist communities in:
- Updating emergency operations plans
- Enhancing hazard mitigation plans
- Prioritizing and allocating resources
- Identifying the need for more refined risk assessments
- Encouraging community-level risk communication and engagement
- Educating homeowners and renters
- Supporting adoption of enhanced codes and standards
- Informing long-term community recovery
4 March 2021 - 10:35am
Steps to Resilience:
This content supports the highlighted step.